House Clearance Elstow
Thinking of moving to Elstow? Here is some information on the Village
Elstow House Clearance
Countess Judith, niece of William the Conqueror, founded a Benedictine nunnery in Elstow in the year 1078. The Elstow nuns came from wealthy families and each came with an endowment of money and/or lands.
In 1538 Elstow Abbey was valued as being the eighth richest nunnery in England. On 26 August 1539, the Abbess was forced to surrender the Abbey, the manor of Elstow and all the Abbey’s other lands and estates throughout England, to King Henry VIII, as part of his Dissolution of the Monasteries.
The village and most of the populated part of Elstow parish are located inside Bedford‘s southern bypass, with the hamlet ofHarrowden lying just to the south-east of that road. Elstow is now, effectively, a suburb of Bedford with the old village now almost surrounded by 20th-century housing. But the original village – now a conservation area – remains intact, with some 13th–17th century buildings and a village green.